Amir Eslami (Amirhossein Eslami Mirabadi) was born in Iran and immigrated to Vancouver in 2015. He studied at the Tehran University of Art, receiving a BA in music in 1996 and a MA in music composition in 2002. He later served as a faculty member at the University, including as Head of the Iranian Music Department and Dean of Administration for the Music Faculty.
Amir has won multiple Iranian and international prizes (Italy, Australia and Netherlands) in music composition. He has released four music albums as a composer and more than ten music albums as a Ney (Persian Traditional Flute) player. His pieces have been performed in Iran, Italy, Australia, the US, the Netherlands and Canada. Amir published “Montazem Al-Hokama’s Radif” (The oldest Persian music repertoire) by Art University in Tehran in 2014. Also, the Ambleside Symphony Orchestra performed his latest composed piece “Azeri Dances” (for Tar solo and orchestra) on 30th April 2016 in Vancouver.
He recently established “Vancouver Iranian Choir” with a group of musicians in North Vancouver to perform choral pieces by Iranian composers. The newest album “Of String’s Songs and Reed’s Cry” is published in Vancouver by Rumi Records. Also, Amir established “HazarAva” ensemble in Vancouver in 2016.
Awards & Honors
1. First Grade Companion with Foozhan Ensemble, at the 1st World music Festival, Ney player: Amir Eslami, Tehran (1998)
2. First Grade Iranian Ensemble, the 4th Festival of Nationwide Students of Music, Tehran University of Technology, Leader and composer: Amir Eslami, Tehran (2003)
3. Commendation Tablet, the 5th Nationwide Students’ Festival, Tehran (2004)
4. The Best Lecturer in Music Faculty, Art University, Tehran (2008)
5. Third Prize in Composition, the Olympic Song Composition Competition, Iran Olympic Academy, Tehran (2008)
6. First Prize of International Composition Competition 2 Agosto, Bologna, Italy (2009)
7. The Best Researcher in Music Faculty, Art University, Tehran (2009)
8. Third Prize of International Composition Competition Shakuhachi Chamber Music, Melbourne, Australia (2010)
9. The 4 Stars for “All of You” (Music Album) in “Song lines Magazine” Volume 75, London (2011)
10.The member of jury meeting in the international composition competition “2 Agosto”, 18th Edition from Friday June 15 to Sunday June 17 (2012)
11. The faculty member and composition teacher in the 20th Anniversary “Ameropa solo master classes and chamber music festival and courses” in Prague, Czech, from 20th July to 10th August (2013)
12. Honorable mention; work recommended for recording during the Atlas Academy Composition Competition for Piece for Dialogue among Cultures, Atlas Academy, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2014)
13. The member of Book Council in Tehran Art University (2014)
14. The member of jury meeting in the composition competition “Ahmad Pejman Biennial Composition Contest“, 1st Edition, Tehran, Iran (2015)
15. The music producer in “Aram-e Jan” radio program in Vancouver Co-op radio, Vancouver, Canada (2015)
16. The Board of Vancouver Iranian Choir, Vancouver, Canada (2016)
17. The Board of Iranian Music Society of BC, Vancouver, Canada (2018)